Thanks Jo, it works indeed, but ...

... the root of the problem was that I started assembly:assembly from
the parent project and not the project itself. From the parent you may
want to arbitrarily combine modules, which the moduleSet seems to be
for.

My experience leads me to the conclusion that the <format> JAR cannot
be applied to a <moduleSet> meaningfully.

Now, I use a fileSet of target/classes and a dependencySet as you
suggested. That works fine.

Ben