I have a complex of projects that I want to manage. Essentially, it consists of a number of "master" projects, each of which in turn consists of a number of builds. A rule that I need to follow is that if any two builds refer to the same artifact, they must use the same version - even if they do not depend on each other, or are in separate master projects. If master project A picks up a new version of master project B, and one of the latter's builds has move to a new version of one of its dependencies, the next time I build master project A, any of its builds that uses that dependency must also move to the new version.

Now, I know of a way to do this using custom ant tasks and a new form of configuration file for the master project - but I would prefer not to re-invent the wheel if Maven already has a solution (or if not, is it a capability that Maven users would like...?)