You can do it by generating a file with Ant as well. I generate a java
source file with a constant in it in the generate-source phase. You could
generate a .properties file.

This is in the POM under <build><plugins>

<plugin>
  <executions>
    <execution>
      <id>gensrc</id>
      <phase>generate-sources</phase>
      <configuration>
        <tasks>
          <property name="program.version" value="${parent.version
}"></property>
          <ant antfile="build.xml" dir="." target="versionProperties"
inheritRefs="true" />
        </tasks>
         <sourceRoot>${project.build.directory
}/generated-sources/java</sourceRoot>
      </configuration>
      <goals>
        <goal>run</goal>
      </goals>
    </execution>
  </executions>
</plugin>

This is the Ant target:

<target name="versionProperties" description="create the version properties
file">
    <echo message="Version = ${program.version}" />
    <echo file="${src.dir}/com/mycompany/myapp/ProgramVersion.java">
        package com.mycompany.myapp;
        /** Generated in ANT */
        public class ProgramVersion
        {
           public static final String VERSION = "${program.version}";
        }
    </echo>
</target>

-- Lee Meador