Stefan Prange schrieb:

Graham Leggett wrote:
On Thu, September 27, 2007 1:15 pm, Stefan Prange wrote:

Is there a reason for this decision? The simplest way to handle ears and
wars is to have the war as an artifact, and the ear as an artifact, and
just let maven do everything for you.

What does building the ear yourself buy you?

Hi Graham,

there are two reasons.
1. I didn't want to create a new java project only to package an EAR file.
Well, this reason is not quite cogent, I suppose. When using Maven one
should engage with Maven's multi module approach.
2. I want my EAR file named after a predefined pattern. It shall be name
like appname.ear_<timestamp>, e.g. "appname.ear_20070927". I tried to
achieve this with Maven before (with build/finalname) but with no success.
ANT allows me to name the resulting EAR file whatever I like.

So if someone knows a trick for solving the 2nd problem, I'd prefer a
separate EAR module.

What is you problem with build/finalname? Generating the timestamp? Have
a look at the buildnumber-plugin [1].

Bye, Stefan

-Tim

[1] http://commons.ucalgary.ca/projects/maven-buildnumber-plugin/howto.html