I would highly recommend that you tag your projects X.Y and when you build
branches introduce the .Z

maven treats the -SSS specially and makes it less e.g.

X.Y.Z-A < X.Y.Z

which obviously causes odd behaviour..

I use versions like 1.0, 1.1, 1.2

and patches being builds off branches being 1.0.1, 1.0.2, 1.1.2 etc etc

--
Michael McCallum
Enterprise Engineer