From: Guillaume Lederrey [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Mon 1/7/2008 10:34 AM
To: Maven Users List
Subject: Dependency versions in large multi-projects multi-modules environment

Hello !

I have to investigate the migration to Maven in our organisation. We
have a pretty large software base : about 100 projects each generating
3 to 6 artifacts. A part of these modules are a framework used by most
other projects.

For the moment, we are managing versioning with ant, and a script that
download the latest version of each library. This script is updated
every time a new version of a library is released. The script itself
is on a server and accessed by all developers / build tools.

I see to major ways to do the same with Maven :

1) replace our script by a parent pom which will contain all
dependencies and versions in its <dependencyManagement/> section. This
means that every time a new library is released, a new version of this
parent pom has to be released as well. And all other projects have to
update their reference to the latest parent pom.

2) use version ranges in the parent pom. This way, the new version of
the library is used by all projects as soon as it is available in our
central repository. Much easier to manage, but it sound a bit scary to
have it that much automated ... Other problem, we will loose build
reproducibility ...

I'll be happy to know how you manage dependency versions in large
organizations ...

Thanks a lot !

   Guillaume

--