Not sure, we always perform dependency resolution before generating project
files. Besides if the project doesn't compile in the version control this
often means you have much bigger problem. :)

Anyway try mvn process-resources, this seems to run just before compilation
begins and should resolve dependencies.

For more details see the manual:
http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-lifecycle.html#Lifecycle_Reference