I'll add that the website for the 2.0-alpha1 is horribly broken...

http://maven.apache.org/plugins/index.html
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-archetype-plugin/

click on any navigation otpions and they send back 404's

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 3:08 PM, Wendy Smoak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 3:56 PM, Mark Diggory <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >  I'm trying to author an archetype for our project and have it located
> here
> >  in source:
> >
> https://dspace-sandbox.googlecode.com/svn/team/maven/plugins/dspace-addon-archetype/trunk
> >  My problem is that if I check this out and run
> >  mvn package install
>
> (Unrelated, but just 'mvn install' will work.  It will run through all
> the phases up to and including install, which already includes
> package.)
>
> >  I expect that it will be installed into my local repository and
> accessible
> >  via:
> >
> >  mvn archetype:create   -DarchetypeGroupId=org.dspace.maven.plugins
> >  -DarchetypeArtifactId=dspace-addon-archetype   -DarchetypeVersion=
> 1.5-beta1
> >  -DgroupId=org.my.groupid    -DartifactId=my-module-name
> >
> >  but archetype:create can't seem to find it?
>
> What is the error you're seeing?

mark-diggorys-computer-2:~/workspace-bbp-1.5/dspace-1_5-beta1/dspace/modules
mdiggory$ mvn archetype:create   -DarchetypeGroupId=org.dspace.maven.plugins
-DarchetypeArtifactId=dspace-addon-archetype   -DarchetypeVersion=1.5-beta1
-DgroupId=org.your.groupid    -DartifactId=your-module-name -U -N
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO] Searching repository for plugin with prefix: 'archetype'.
[INFO] org.apache.maven.plugins: checking for updates from central
[INFO] org.codehaus.mojo: checking for updates from central
[INFO] artifact org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin: checking
for updates from central
[INFO]
[INFO] Building DSpace Addon Modules
[INFO]    task-segment: [archetype:create] (aggregator-style)
[INFO]
[INFO] Preparing archetype:create
[INFO] artifact org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin: checking for
updates from central
[INFO] artifact org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-assembly-plugin: checking for
updates from central
[INFO] No goals needed for project - skipping
Downloading:
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/your/groupid/wagon-http-shared/1.0-beta-2/wagon-http-shared-1.0-beta-2.pom
Downloading:
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/your/groupid/wagon-http-shared/1.0-beta-2/wagon-http-shared-1.0-beta-2.pom
[INFO] Setting property: classpath.resource.loader.class => '
org.codehaus.plexus.velocity.ContextClassLoaderResourceLoader'.
[INFO] Setting property: velocimacro.messages.on => 'false'.
[INFO] Setting property: resource.loader => 'classpath'.
[INFO] Setting property: resource.manager.logwhenfound => 'false'.
[INFO] [archetype:create]
[WARNING] No archetype repository found.
[WARNING] Specified archetype not found.
Choose archetype:
1: internal -> appfuse-basic-jsf (AppFuse archetype for creating a web
application with Hibernate, Spring and JSF)
2: internal -> appfuse-basic-spring (AppFuse archetype for creating a web
application with Hibernate, Spring and Spring MVC)
3: internal -> appfuse-basic-struts (AppFuse archetype for creating a web
application with Hibernate, Spring and Struts 2)

yada yada yada

> >  Did the usual Google research... But don't understand the new maven
> >  archetype plugin logic.
>
> It may just be a bug/different behavior in the new archetype plugin.
> There should be a new release soon that makes it behave more like the
> old version.  You can check JIRA or the discussion on the dev list for
> more info.
>
> Does it work if you use the 1.0 archetype plugin?  Start with:  mvn
> org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin:1.0-alpha-7:create ...

That results in the following error

[DEBUG] Configuring mojo '
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin:1.0-alpha-7:create' -->
[DEBUG]   (f) archetypeArtifactId = dspace-addon-archetype
[DEBUG]   (f) archetypeGroupId = org.dspace.maven.plugins
[DEBUG]   (f) archetypeVersion = 1.5-beta1
[DEBUG]   (f) artifactId = your-module-name
[DEBUG]   (f) basedir = /Users/mdiggory/workspace-bbp-1.5
/dspace-1_5-beta1/dspace/modules
[DEBUG]   (f) groupId = org.your.groupid
[DEBUG]   (f) localRepository = [local] ->
file:///Users/mdiggory/.m2/repository
[DEBUG]   (f) pomRemoteRepositories = [[maven.dspace.org-snapshot] ->
http://maven.dspace.org/snapshot, [maven.dspace.org/snapshot] ->
http://maven.dspace.org/snapshot, [central] -> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2
]
[DEBUG]   (f) project = [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[DEBUG]   (f) version = 1.0-SNAPSHOT
[DEBUG] -- end configuration --
[INFO] [archetype:create]
[INFO] Defaulting package to group ID: org.your.groupid
[INFO]
[INFO] Using following parameters for creating Archetype:
dspace-addon-archetype:1.5-beta1
[INFO]
[INFO] Parameter: groupId, Value: org.your.groupid
[INFO] Parameter: packageName, Value: org.your.groupid
[INFO] Parameter: basedir, Value: /Users/mdiggory/workspace-bbp-1.5
/dspace-1_5-beta1/dspace/modules
[INFO] Parameter: package, Value: org.your.groupid
[INFO] Parameter: version, Value: 1.0-SNAPSHOT
[INFO] Parameter: artifactId, Value: your-module-name
[INFO]
[ERROR] FATAL ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] null
[INFO]
[DEBUG] Trace
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
org.apache.maven.archetype.descriptor.ArchetypeDescriptorBuilder.build(
ArchetypeDescriptorBuilder.java:41)
        at org.apache.maven.archetype.DefaultArchetype.createArchetype(
DefaultArchetype.java:197)
        at org.apache.maven.plugin.archetype.MavenArchetypeMojo.execute(
MavenArchetypeMojo.java:224)
        at org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.executeMojo(
DefaultPluginManager.java:443)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoals(
DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:539)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeStandaloneGoal(
DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:493)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoal(
DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:463)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalAndHandleFailures
(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:311)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeTaskSegments(
DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:224)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.execute(
DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:143)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:334)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:125)
NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
        at org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.launchEnhanced(Launcher.java
:315)
        at org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.mainWithExitCode(Launcher.java
:430)