By all means, do option 2.  Update the plugin for Findbugs 1.3.x/Java 5.
Burn the ships.

Don Kautz

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Garvin
LeClaire
Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2008 8:51 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED];
users@maven.apache.org
Subject: [FB-Discuss] Findbug's Maven2 Plugin future direction

The current version of the Maven2 FindBug plugin (1.1.1) uses Findbugs
1.2.0 and the 1.2-SNAPSHOT version uses Findbugs 1.2.   Since Maven2
requires as a minimum Java 1.4 to run and Findbugs 1.3.x requires Java 5

I think we at at a fork in the rode where I would like some feedback
from users.

[] Release Maven2 Findbugs Plugin 1.2.0 using Findbugs 1.2.1.  All
subsequent releases will use Findbugs 1.3.x and require Java 5 to run.

No new enhancements, features or bug fixes will be put into the Maven2
Findbugs Plugin 1.2.0 version.  I can still analyze byte code compile
for Java 1.4

[] Release Maven2 Findbugs Plugin 1.2.0 using Findbugs 1.3.x and require

Java 5 to run.

[] Create and maintain two versions of the Maven2 Findbugs Plugin with
one using Findbugs 1.2.1 requiring Java 1.4 as a minimum and another
using Findbugs 1.3.x and requiring Java 5 to run.   The two version
would have the same bug fixes and enhancements where possible.

Regards,

Garvin LeClaire
[EMAIL PROTECTED]