One of the arguments to resolve() is an ArtifactRepository object for
your local repository.
So you can decide on the base dir of the local repository, but below
that the default layout would still be used.
If you want to go even further, you can write your own
ArtifactRepositoryLayout and use that to create a
DefaultArtifactRepository.
Doing that I think you can control the target location completely.