Optional is meant if you have several dependencies that you need to
compile, but that a user of your jar might only need one of (think
oracle vs mssql bindings).

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Smith [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, May 09, 2008 4:42 PM
To: Maven Users List
Subject: Re: Dependency scope - provided or optional.. ?

On 10/05/2008, at 9:38 AM, Brianefox wrote:

> Provided means to include in the compile do but not in the package
> (war)
> Optional means that it wont be pulled in transitively by users of
> your jar

 From this, I gather Optional is actually what we want.  Would it be
fair to say that Optional is a sort of extension to provided.  Whereas
Provided indicates that it is actually needed downstream, but the
downstream projects need to arrange their own bundling of it.  A
dependency marked as Provided still indicates to the downstream
project that they need it to run it.

Would you agree that Optional is what we want for log4j?

cheers,

Paul