I use it on Linux and noticed intermittent timeouts (I use continuum for
continuous integration).
The solution was to store the tomcat zip file locally.
I use a variable for the tomcat location (defaults to the remote location).
Then in my settings.xml, I have a profile that sets the variable to the
local location.

This allows anyone to use tomcat (because of the default) and anyone, in the
know, or my build system, to pull it off the local file system.

This has eliminated timeouts for me