Andrew Madu schrieb:

can anyone tell me the location of the jar which allows for the creation of custom artifact handlers in its component.xml file?

The default artifact handlers are defined in maven-core's component.xml [1] but you don't need to modify this if you want to use a custom artifact type. You just create a components.xml containing your artifact handler and lifecycle definition in your plugin and define your plugin in projects using the custom artifact type as a packaging with the <extensions/> tag set to true.

While searching for an existing plugin showing this I stumbled upon the jboss-packaging-maven-plugin [2] over at the mojo project. Incidentally, this plugin provides the spring dependency type you talk about in your other thread.

My pltfoem is as follows:
WIN XP SP1
JDK 1.6.0_06
Maven 2.0.9