I'm hoping someone can explain some odd behavior I'm seeing and suggest
a solution.

I have a multi-module project that makes use of two different versions
of the assembly plugin on purpose.  There's functionality that is only
available in the 2.2-beta-2 version that is required for one particular
module.  I also need to use the 2.1 version to produce a 'distribution'
assembly due to MASSEMBLY-328 affecting 2.2-beta.

Here's the project layout:
root/parent pom has a pluginManagement fixing the assembly plugin to
version 2.1
A - creates a jar
B - creates a war and a zip by using assembly 2.2-beta-2 (declared as
the plugin version in it's pom)
C - a pom project that combines A artifact and B artifact and assembly
artifact into a new distribution assembly using assembly 2.1 (declared
as the plugin version in it's pom)

What I found was that when running an reactor build B would use the
correct 2.2 version, but C winds up using 2.2 instead of 2.1 and I
encounter the issue described in MASSEMBLY-328 which prevents me from
deploying the distribution artifact.

After the above build I can run the build within C and it uses the
correct 2.1 version and properly deploys the distribution artifact.

>From this it seems like the assembly plugin version that's declared in
the first run module is used for all subsequent modules, despite being
very explicit about the version desired.

Has anyone else encountered this problem (I seem to remember having
similar issues with the antrun plugin)?  Any way this can be fixed in
pom's or is this a bug that requires a plugin change?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Jamie.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any files attached may contain
confidential and proprietary information of Alcatel-Lucent and/or its
affiliated entities. Access by the intended recipient only is authorized. Any
liability arising from any party acting, or refraining from acting, on any
information contained in this e-mail is hereby excluded. If you are not the
intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately, destroy the original
transmission and its attachments and do not disclose the contents to any other
person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium.
Copyright in this e-mail and any attachments belongs to Alcatel-Lucent and/or
its affiliated entities.