On 29 Sep 2008, at 13:22, Mark Hobson wrote:

2008/9/29 Dominic Mitchell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
What's the easiest way to get at the version number in the POM from Java?

I've been using
getResourceAsStream('META-INF/maven/groupId/artifactId/ pom.properties'); But this doesn't work while I'm developing in Eclipse (only when using the
built jar file).

You can use maven-runtime to dynamically obtain this information, but
it still has the limitation of requiring the META-INF files created at
package-time:

http://maven.apache.org/shared/maven-runtime/

Aha! Thanks for pointing this out. That's much more useful than rolling my own implementation of such a thing.

I'd quite like to see the generation of these metadata files occur at
the generate-resources phase of the lifecycle which would allow it
work within the IDE too.

-Dom