That's effectively what happens during the [internal] QA process. We
release 1.2.3-RC-1, ..., up to n, as needed. When its been qualified by
the QA folks, the artifact is re-released *without* the '-RC-x' suffix.

After some basic smoke tests, a request is made to deploy the artifact
into UAT where customers have access. Te UAT version lacks the '-RC-x'.

Often the issues that arise in UAT are very minor, and it's been a pain
to have to re-release to UAT [with a new version number]. These UAT-only
releases never make it into production.

I had hoped that the build number would replace our '-RC-x' versioning
convention and allow QA to differentiate submitted artifacts having the
same base version AND serve the same purpose within UAT.

When we get to the 'final' UAT-approved version, it is what it is. No
re-release would be required and the artifact can be deployed directly
to production. Since we deploy via the 'release' plugin, the tag
associated with that build is already on hand.

Brad