If you take a look at the superpom [1] you'll see there is a default
script directory:

<scriptSourceDirectory>src/main/scripts</scriptSourceDirectory>

So I would say "convention over configuration" and use that one. (If
you'll write a maven plugin to handle the scripts, use the
scriptSourceDirectory instead of making your own variable setting.

Hth,

[1] http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-pom.html

Nick Stolwijk
~Java Developer~