I think you need to specify the dependency within the <build> section of
the pom and then reference in the reporting section:

<build>
    <plugins>
      <plugin>
        <artifactId>maven-checkstyle-plugin</artifactId>
        <dependencies>
          <dependency>
            <groupId>com.example.whizbang</groupId>
            <artifactId>build-tools</artifactId>
            <version>1.0</version>
          </dependency>
        </dependencies>
      </plugin>
    </plugins>
  </build>
  <reporting>
    <plugins>
      <plugin>
        <artifactId>maven-checkstyle-plugin</artifactId>
        <configuration>
          <configLocation>whizbang/checkstyle.xml</configLocation>
          <headerLocation>whizbang/LICENSE.txt</headerLocation>
        </configuration>
      </plugin>
    </plugins>
  </reporting>