I'm not really clear on your setup. is the 3rd party platform app in your repository, or you only have the installation somewhere?

if you have the 3.0-SNAPSHOT version of the plugin, the the only meaningful project to start debugging is the one with nbm-application packaging, using the http://codehaus.org/~mkleint/run-platform-mojo.html goal.

an obvious fallback solution is to start the 3rd party application with our modules from command line (with the correct debugging params) and then Attach Debugger.. from the IDE.

Milos

Nathan Rice wrote:
The version of the plug-in I have was built on 11/10/08.  I am trying to
debug modules that plug into a 3rd party platform application.  I specified
the netbeans.installation parameter, however I was unsure of what to use for
the clusterbuilddir and userbuilddir parameters, so I did not specify them.
I had issues with the maven actions dialogue in the project properties
stripping quotation marks and removing backslashes if not enclosed in quotes
or escaped as well.  When properly formed, with only the
netbeans.installation parameter for the run-ide action, I get the following
error:

java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -1
        at
java.lang.AbstractStringBuilder.deleteCharAt(AbstractStringBuilder.java:770)
        at java.lang.StringBuffer.deleteCharAt(StringBuffer.java:382)
        at
org.codehaus.mojo.nbm.RunNetBeansMojo.execute(RunNetBeansMojo.java:118)
        at
org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.executeMojo(DefaultPluginManager.java:451)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoals(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:558)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeStandaloneGoal(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:512)

Is this related to the fact that several parameters that were specified as
required but were listed as having a default value were not passed?

Nathan