I think it's the duplicated artifactId's that is causing the problem. Maybe the artifactId of the pom in the subdirectory modA/modA should be set to "modA-modA" or something like that.

huser wrote:
Hi,

I have a situation in which the dir names are same.
Example:
/base
/base/modA
/base/modA/modA

I get the following error while trying to run mvn compile. The code for 2
POM's is below. What should I change in the parent to make this work ?

Thanks,

Reason: Parent element is a duplicate of the current project  for project
com.co.t3:modA

[INFO]
[INFO] Trace
org.apache.maven.reactor.MavenExecutionException: Parent element is a
duplicate
of the current project  for project com.co.t3:modA
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.getProjects(DefaultMaven.java:378)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:292)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:129)
        at
java:39)
        at
sorImpl.java:25)
        at
        at

/base/modA/pom.xml
        <parent>
                <groupId>com.co.t3</groupId>
                <artifactId>t3</artifactId>
                <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
                <relativePath>../base/pom.xml</relativePath>
        </parent>

        <name> modA </name>
  <groupId>com.co.t3</groupId>

  <artifactId>modA</artifactId>