Easiest thing is to roll the poms to a snapshot and then do a
traditional release. This assumes that the project you are patching is
your own and the scm info is correct.

-----Original Message-----
From: David C. Hicks [mailto:dhi...@i-hicks.org]
Sent: Friday, April 03, 2009 12:32 PM
To: Maven Users
Subject: Help with patching a release?

Hi gang,

I need to apply a small patch to a project that has already been
released.  In general, I understand that I need to branch the tag under
which the code was released, make the change, then create a new
release.  I'm running into a problem, I guess with the release plugin,
though.  (I'm sure it's *my* problem, not the plugin's.)  When I try to
run a release:prepare, I get an error indicating that I don't have a
SNAPSHOT project.  OK, that makes sense, because I branched from a
release tag.  So, my question is, what would be the proper procedure for

this exercise?  I mean, from the point of view of Maven and
maven-release-plugin, how should I go about the steps of applying a
change to a released version?

This is the first time I've had to do this.  So, it's a learning
opportunity.

Thanks,
Dave