FTR, I now did the following trick. Of course this could be enhanced with
multilinguality etc. But it works for me.

function submitIfOnline() {
    var xmlHttp = new XMLHttpRequest();
    xmlHttp.open("HEAD", "index.http", false); // synchronous
    try {
        xmlHttp.send();
        if (xmlHttp.status == 200) {
            return true;
        }
    } catch (e) {
        // nothiing to do;
    }

    alert("No connection available, please try again later!");
    return false;
}

plus

<h:form onsubmit="return submitIfOnline()">

The index.http heck is a convention I use in all projects.
Works so far.

LieGrue,
strub