Thanks for the enthusiasm. :-) As an Apache project, NetBeans will not be
able to earn money directly -- all money coming into Apache goes to the
foundation as a whole:

However, potentially, there could be an organization that we set up
together comparable to Tomitribe (, i.e., Apache TomEE ( has an external organization that provides support and so
on -- and also receives money. I.e., we could have a NetBeans Tribe or
something like that, which could offer advanced features or maybe fix bugs
on demand or something like that, in exchange for money.

Just a thought, though something for the future, if at all.

On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 5:50 PM, Ashton Hogan <>