> On 10 Mar 2018, at 12:02, Thomas Wolf <tjw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> "How are you even using CVS" - because it's there?!  See attached screen
> shots.  It's even labeled "Base IDE", which makes it look pretty  darn
> integral rather than externalized.   I installed NB 8.2 on a brand new Mac
> and don't recall doing anything in particular to get it either.

It’s not part of NetBeans IDE though, support was removed about 6-7 years ago
to en external plugin in the plugin portal, again here’s the URL explaining it
[1]. “Base IDE” is just the name of the category the plugin lives in, which
should actually be “Team Collaboration”.

You could have only got CVS support by installing the plugin which used to
prompt you if you opened a cvs project but had to install manually to do a
checkout. But the plugin no longer appears in the plugin portal [2].

  [1]: http://wiki.netbeans.org/CVSSupport
  [2]: http://plugins.netbeans.org/

> "If we introduce..." - we're not holding tutorials telling folks to use it or
> even advocating its use.  It's a plugin for crying out loud.  They can use it
> or leave it.   Are "young generation" so stupid they can't google and see for
> themselves that if they use CVS they're using old tech?

That’s not exactly what I meant. And yes, if it’s a burden to support edge
cases then the edge cases should be discouraged. Just as my analogy that IE9
has wide support to discontinue its use component developers actively encourage
this.

We should support the currently wide spread technologies and externalise
support for diminishing tech. We could focus out efforts on what other IDE’s
are doing like scala support, which the other major IDE’s support out of the
box (they don’t support CVS).

> "When we continue to support deprecation..."  CVS isn't "deprecated" because
> there isn't an organization that can proclaim it so  - it's just older
> technology that isn't worth using on new projects.  But it's definitely still
> in heavy use and, therefore, an IDE should still support it..

Without doing the analysis i’m not sure what the widespread use is.

> "When you continue to support deprecation well beyond it's EOL..." - give me
> the date that CVS went EOL???  I must have missed that announcement!

When the CVS maintainers stopped working on CVS and started on SVN, they’re the
same guys, and made the same mistakes in SVN, i think it started in 2001, I
can’t even remember the last publicised book.

> We just have different views on the subject.  And I don't really have a leg
> to stand on: it's up to Netbeans developers and contributors to decide
> whether to support that plugin.  But I'm 100% sure that there's still
> wide-spread use of it out there and that means Netbeans will lose some users
> if it drops support.

It won’t lose users, it never did when the plugin got dropped :)