I'd just like to let you know that I solved my CPU load and socket
stability problems by removing a call I was making to System.gc() I put in
when I was trying to solve the problem earlier. I've been running my
application now for about 30 minutes, and the profiler shows that no
instances survive one gc. My Ubuntu system monitor shows no significant
memory consumption so far.

Your tip was golden. Thanks.