If the firewall isn't the problem, there could be a resource conflict for
the port.  On CentOS,

netstat -ant

will show the listening and connected ports.  If something shows on
LocalAddress=0.0.0.0:8080 or <host_ip>:8080 and State=LISTEN, then the port
is already in use by another process.  You find the process with

netstat -pant

which will include a column with information about the process that is
using the port.

(Ubuntu syntax should be similar, but check the manpage if these parameters
don't work as expected.)