All just as a point of reference we now have a live system running
that is on NiFi 0.5.0 and feeding three versions of Kafka at once:
- 0.8.1
- 0.8.2.0
- 0.9.0.1

So perhaps there are some particular configurations that cause issues.
Can you share more details about your configuration of Kafka/NiFi and
what sort of security is enabled?

Thanks
Joe