Michael,

I don't think you can put a template into conf/templates and have it be
picked up, I tried a couple of things and it looks like the system manages
the things put in there.

For the REST API, the documentation for uploading a template is missing
because there are two ways to use POST and the doc generation tool only
grabs one of them.  There was an email a while back where Matt Gilman
explained how to use the other form of POST with multi-part form data to
upload/import a template:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/nifi-users/201512.mbox/%3CCAFddr27eTHQABOFTf5P8onE20P8jcdyCusYZ9u6-ySjwvddWBQ%40mail.gmail.com%3E

Regards,
Matt