Matt,

I don't want to sound too old school but I not sure the use of slack is a
good idea:

At least one ASF project that has decided to move away from Gitter:
https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@airflow.incubator.apache.org/msg00901.html

Apparently there are issues around accessibility:
https://www.christianheilmann.com/2016/01/10/dont-use-slack/
https://www.marcozehe.de/2016/01/16/status-of-the-accessibility-of-slack/

Some people seem to explicit oppose the idea:
http://sircmpwn.github.io/2015/11/01/Please-stop-using-slack.html
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/03/17/no_slack_for_open_sourcers/

And some point to a handy reminder of the risks associated with similar
moves...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitKeeper#Pricing_change

Having said that, happy to work with whatever people prefer.

Cheers