Hello,

I think the behavior you saw with the queue going to 0 is expected
behavior... when you are looking at the UI it is showing the aggregated
view of all the nodes in the cluster, so if one node has flow files in the
queue and that nodes goes down while you are in the UI in another node,
that number of flow files would no longer be visible in the UI.

How many flow files are in the queue before ExecuteStreamCommand when you
see it not making any progress?

There was a bug in 1.0 where if the # of flow files in a queue was evenly
splittable by the swap size, then those flow files would be swapped out and
never swapped back in and would be sitting there.

The JIRA was: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI-2754

Additionally you could try upgrading to the recently released 1.1 release
to see if the same behavior occurs.

-Bryan