Thank you for replying Bryan. Yes sir, I can elaborate. Applications are
trying to post content to my NiFi instance to have it processed to
downstream systems. Occasionally there are legitimate reasons why we might
have the steps stopped. Routine administration, that sort of activity. In
such cases - NiFi is up, we still have jetty running, but a processor or
the processors in a workflow are stopped, isn't there a way to intercept
the Http POST request at the jetty server level to send a clean reply, such
as Unavailable?

The software engineers responsible for the POSTing applications are asking
for this. Apparently it is cleaner and preferred to have their software
field a standard Http Reply to their POST than to wait for an indefinite
period of time for the equivalent of a timeout error.

Thanks again for your help. -Jim