Russell,

Your expectations are inline with the functionality of the processor.  You
can add dynamic relationship via a dynamic property in the processor
properties tab.  The plus (+) located at the top right will let you first
specify a property name (Treated as the relationship) and its value would
be the regex of choice.  After hitting apply, the relationship will be
available to connect to other components.

This is covered for RouteOnAttribute in the User Guide [1].

[1]
http://nifi.apache.org/docs/nifi-docs/html/user-guide.html#properties-tab