We currently have a solid dev / prod environment and when ready we import
the template from dev in to prod.
We also have updated central processors that can't be replaced by a
template with rest calls.

But in general NIFI 1 is a massive upgrade to U/I, and this feature and
user policies from a operational perspective are why I'm pushing for nifi 1
in my environment, but major drawback is code review for custom code and
resources to do so.