Thanks for all the suggestions. Regards using Groovy I did try and use it
to solve my problem but just couldn't get it to work correctly. I tried to
implement something similar to the following solution given here (
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24827855/groovy-httpbuilder-issues-with-cookies)
to address a cookie authentication issue but the cookie didn't seem to
attach/work with follow-on requests and still gave me 401 but I managed to
get something working in python hence why I was trying to use that.

I'm wondering whether I should just use ExecuteProcess/ExecuteStreamCommand
as a quick fix?

Mike