James,

You have it right about the proper solution path..  I think we have a
Redis one in there now too that might be interesting (not in 1.3.0
perhaps but..).

We offered a simple out of the box one early and to ensure the
interfaces are right.  Since then the community has popped up some
real/stronger implementations like you're mentioning.

Thanks