Matt,

Our main use, which provenance data handles well, is figuring out **what**
data was handled. We drop everything but DROP out of convenience because we
have no known scenarios where data will be removed before it reaches the
end of the flow.

FWIW, this is what inspired the record stats processor we added about a
release ago. You can use it to drill down into a record set with path
operations and add attributes to a flowfile describing what the record set
therein contains. It should be particularly helpful to anyone who wants to
do partial or full table fetches and then say "count this batch of records
using this path."

Mike