Mike,

For your Maven command in #1, those hive.* properties are for the Hive
1 NAR (PutHiveStreaming, e.g.), you can override the hive3.* versions
of them if you want to set a particular version (they default to
Apache Hive 3.0.0).

For #2, I didn't see anything in the new Hive Streaming API that
accepts just username and password, rather it tries to get the
information from the UserGroupInformation which I believe needs
Kerberos. If Kerberos is not enabled, I believe it uses the
"user.name" system property for username, but I still don't see where
authorization is happening (even behind the scenes). I assume it has
to do with being authenticated and passing the username to Ranger, but
I'm not sure. Having said that, there may be some properties you could
set in hive-site.xml to specify a username/password. I'll ask around
and follow up if I find out anything.

Regards,
Matt