We’ve got a handful of custom NiFi controller services. The documentation
describes how to properly separate the API of a custom service from its
implementation using different NAR files. When we don’t do that, we see a
message that says the following:

org.apache.nifi.nar.ExtensionManager Controller Service
x.x.x.x.MyControllerServiceApi is bundled with its supporting APIs
x.x.x.x.MyControllerServiceImpl. The service APIs should not be bundled with
the implementations.

This warning makes sense, and I know how to fix it. I am trying to understand
if fixing it is really worth the effort. This seems to work for us as is, even
though it is clearly wrong according to the NiFi documentation. I assume that
this approach will fail under some circumstances, but I don’t know when or how
it will fail.

Can anyone provide any background on the downsides of leaving our controller
service implementations in the same NAR file as their APIs?