I've been trying to figure out how to improve this area of NiFi.  They
support OpenID Direct Connect (OIDC), but when you combine it with a
reverse proxy or their default/hardcoded PKI configuration, it's near
impossible to use.

Ideally the entire authn/z stack needs rearchitecting for better modularity
for any decent SSO integration.  The current APIs were built around having
a writable authn/z store like LDAP/RDBMS. They are not designed for common
SSO workflows where users connect to NiFi and inherit NiFi permissions
based on their assertion/attributes.