Hey Andy,

We're currently using the HashAttribute processor. The use-case is that we
have various events that come in but sometimes those events are just
updates of previous ones. We store everything in ElasticSearch. So for
certain events, we'll calculate a hash based on a couple of attributes in
order to have a composite unique key to upsert as the ES _id. This allows
us to easily just insert/update events that are the same (as determined by
the hashed composite key).

As for the configuration of the processors, we're essentially just
specifying exact attributes as dynamic properties of HashAttribute. Then
passing that FF to PutElasticSearchHttp with the resulting attribute from
HashAttribute as the "Identifier Attribute".

Joe

On Mon, Sep 3, 2018 at 9:52 PM Andy LoPresto <alopre...@apache.org> wrote:

> I opened PRs for 2980 [1] and 2983 [2] which add more performant,
> consistent, and full-featured processors to calculate cryptographic hashes
> of flowfile content and flowfile attributes. I would like to deprecate and
> drop support for HashAttribute, as it performs a convoluted calculation
> that was probably useful in an old scenario, but doesn’t “hash attributes”
> like the name implies. As it blocks the new implementation from using that
> name and following our naming convention, I am hoping to find anyone still
> using the old implementation and understand their use case. Thanks for your
> help.
>
> [1] https://github.com/apache/nifi/pull/2980
> [2] https://github.com/apache/nifi/pull/2983
>

> Andy LoPresto