So after a lot of diving into 1.9.X, it **appears** that there was some
sort of combination w/ the AvroReader + ConsumeKafkaRecord that was
suppressing errors from being reported. Haven't been able to fully figure
out what was doing on, but I know one of the contributing factors was that
my producer (spring boot service, not NiFi) was incorrectly building the
binary form of the Avro (didn't have embedded schema).

Mike