As a compromise, I upgraded to the latest 5.X client and manually
incremented Apache HttpClient to 4.5.10. PR is here:

https://github.com/apache/nifi/pull/3828

There are integration tests for that package that automatically startup and
provision an ES node, and they all passed with this configuration.
Hopefully this PR will fix your issue since it appears to be an external
dependency causing it.

On Sun, Oct 20, 2019 at 5:26 AM Mike Thomsen <mikerthom...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> mentioned by Andy the CN field should only be used if the
>> SubjectiveAlternativeName is empty.
>>
>> The Server Cert has the SAN set to:  quickstart-es-http.es-cluster
>>
>> What is really strange to me is why I can connect using the
>> QueryElasticSearch processor with the same SSLContextService and hostname
>> but when I use the ClientServicesImpl it will not work.
>>
>> So I did some more investigation and it looks like the QueryES processor
>> uses the okHTTP library and ClientServicesImpl uses the Elastic Search
>> RestClient which in turn uses the HTTPClient from Apache.
>>
>> There was an issue with the HTTPClient library in v4.5.2 (
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HTTPCLIENT-1802) where it didn’t
>> do the right hostname verification.
>>
>> The version of Apache Nifi that Im using is 1.9.2 and it seems to use
>> v.5.6.8 of Elastic Search client libraries and that in turn uses v4.5.2 of
>> Apache HTTPClient.
>>

>> https://github.com/elastic/elasticsearch/blob/v5.6.8/buildSrc/version.properties
>>
>> But again if it was a HostName validation issue the error message should
>> read more like: “Certificate for <host> doesn’t match common name of
>> certificate subject…”
>>
>> On Oct 19, 2019, 7:39 AM -0500, Mike Thomsen <mikerthom...@gmail.com>,
>> wrote:
>>
>> I'm far from a SSL/TLS expert, but let's get these out of the way:
>>
>> 1. Did you mark the server's cert as "trusted" when you created the trust
>> store with keytool?
>> 2. Are you sure that you're specifying the same hostname in the client
>> service that is in the CN field in the server's cert?
>>
>> FWIW, if you grab the NiFi TLS Toolkit from nifi.apache.org, you can use
>> it to generate valid certificates. It's meant for NiFi, but the certs it
>> generates should be a solid step up from self-signed certs if you're not
>> able to access a company CA.
>>
>> On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 2:06 AM Peter Moberg <peter.mob...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Nope. No good. I even dump the network traffic and analyzed it in
>>> Wireshark. The ES server sends back two certificates (server + self-signed
>>> one) and both of them are present in my TrustStore. I am specifying both a
>>> TrustStore and a Keystore now but it still gives the error that it can’t
>>> find the certificate.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Peter
>>> On Oct 18, 2019, 4:44 PM -0500, Peter Moberg <peter.mob...@gmail.com>,
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Think I might have found the issue. Will report tonight.
>>>
>>> Mike, please don’t spend any time debugging this because I think it
>>> might be an issue on my side. Appreciate all the help so far.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Peter
>>> On Oct 18, 2019, 2:21 PM -0500, Peter Moberg <peter.mob...@gmail.com>,
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Here it is:
>>>

>>> 2019-10-18 18:47:02,548 ERROR [Timer-Driven Process Thread-7]
>>> o.a.n.processors.standard.LookupRecord
>>> LookupRecord[id=df596687-016d-1000-0000-000065536eb2] Failed to process
>>> StandardFlowFileRecord[uuid=64d0d1f4-1960-4a91-9394-39edc9d6c9c7,claim=StandardContentClaim
>>> [resourceClaim=StandardResourceClaim[id=1571410822200-1, container=default,
>>> section=1], offset=7180,
>>> length=20],offset=0,name=64d0d1f4-1960-4a91-9394-39edc9d6c9c7,size=20]:
>>> org.apache.nifi.processor.exception.ProcessException: Failed to lookup
>>> coordinates {key=test} in Lookup Service
>>> org.apache.nifi.processor.exception.ProcessException: Failed to lookup
>>> coordinates {key=test} in Lookup Service
>>> at
>>> org.apache.nifi.processors.standard.LookupRecord.route(LookupRecord.java:300)
>>> at
>>> org.apache.nifi.processors.standard.LookupRecord.route(LookupRecord.java:68)
>>> at
>>> org.apache.nifi.processors.standard.AbstractRouteRecord$1.process(AbstractRouteRecord.java:134)
>>> at
>>> org.apache.nifi.controller.repository.StandardProcessSession.read(StandardProcessSession.java:2212)
>>> at
>>> org.apache.nifi.controller.repository.StandardProcessSession.read(StandardProcessSession.java:2180)
>>> at
>>> org.apache.nifi.processors.standard.AbstractRouteRecord.onTrigger(AbstractRouteRecord.java:121)
>>> at
>>> org.apache.nifi.processor.AbstractProcessor.onTrigger(AbstractProcessor.java:27)
>>> at
>>> org.apache.nifi.controller.StandardProcessorNode.onTrigger(StandardProcessorNode.java:1162)
>>> at
>>> org.apache.nifi.controller.tasks.ConnectableTask.invoke(ConnectableTask.java:209)
>>> at
>>> org.apache.nifi.controller.scheduling.TimerDrivenSchedulingAgent$1.run(TimerDrivenSchedulingAgent.java:117)
>>> at org.apache.nifi.engine.FlowEngine$2.run(FlowEngine.java:110)
>>> at
>>> java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:511)
>>> at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.runAndReset(FutureTask.java:308)
>>> at
>>> java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$301(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:180)
>>> at
>>> java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:294)
>>> at
>>> java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
>>> at
>>> java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
>>> Caused by: org.apache.nifi.lookup.LookupFailureException:
>>> org.apache.nifi.lookup.LookupFailureException:
>>> javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: General SSLEngine problem
>>> at
>>> org.apache.nifi.elasticsearch.ElasticSearchLookupService.lookup(ElasticSearchLookupService.java:175)
>>> at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor746.invoke(Unknown Source)
>>> at
>>> at
>>> org.apache.nifi.controller.service.StandardControllerServiceInvocationHandler.invoke(StandardControllerServiceInvocationHandler.java:87)
>>> at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy136.lookup(Unknown Source)
>>> at
>>> org.apache.nifi.processors.standard.LookupRecord.route(LookupRecord.java:298)
>>> ... 17 common frames omitted
>>> Caused by: org.apache.nifi.lookup.LookupFailureException:
>>> javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: General SSLEngine problem
>>> at
>>> org.apache.nifi.elasticsearch.ElasticSearchLookupService.getByQuery(ElasticSearchLookupService.java:288)
>>> at
>>> org.apache.nifi.elasticsearch.ElasticSearchLookupService.lookup(ElasticSearchLookupService.java:169)
>>> ... 23 common frames omitted
>>> Caused by: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: General SSLEngine problem
>>> at sun.security.ssl.Handshaker.checkThrown(Handshaker.java:1529)
>>> at sun.security.ssl.SSLEngineImpl.checkTaskThrown(SSLEngineImpl.java:535)
>>> at sun.security.ssl.SSLEngineImpl.writeAppRecord(SSLEngineImpl.java:1214)
>>> at sun.security.ssl.SSLEngineImpl.wrap(SSLEngineImpl.java:1186)
>>> at javax.net.ssl.SSLEngine.wrap(SSLEngine.java:469)
>>> at
>>> org.apache.http.nio.reactor.ssl.SSLIOSession.doWrap(SSLIOSession.java:265)
>>> at
>>> org.apache.http.nio.reactor.ssl.SSLIOSession.doHandshake(SSLIOSession.java:305)
>>> at
>>> org.apache.http.nio.reactor.ssl.SSLIOSession.isAppInputReady(SSLIOSession.java:509)
>>> at
>>> org.apache.http.impl.nio.reactor.AbstractIODispatch.inputReady(AbstractIODispatch.java:120)
>>> at
>>> org.apache.http.impl.nio.reactor.BaseIOReactor.readable(BaseIOReactor.java:162)
>>> at
>>> org.apache.http.impl.nio.reactor.AbstractIOReactor.processEvent(AbstractIOReactor.java:337)
>>> at
>>> org.apache.http.impl.nio.reactor.AbstractIOReactor.processEvents(AbstractIOReactor.java:315)
>>> at
>>> org.apache.http.impl.nio.reactor.AbstractIOReactor.execute(AbstractIOReactor.java:276)
>>> at
>>> org.apache.http.impl.nio.reactor.BaseIOReactor.execute(BaseIOReactor.java:104)
>>> at
>>> org.apache.http.impl.nio.reactor.AbstractMultiworkerIOReactor$Worker.run(AbstractMultiworkerIOReactor.java:588)
>>> ... 1 common frames omitted
>>> Caused by: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: General SSLEngine problem
>>> at sun.security.ssl.Alerts.getSSLException(Alerts.java:192)
>>> at sun.security.ssl.SSLEngineImpl.fatal(SSLEngineImpl.java:1728)
>>> at sun.security.ssl.Handshaker.fatalSE(Handshaker.java:330)
>>> at sun.security.ssl.Handshaker.fatalSE(Handshaker.java:322)
>>> at
>>> sun.security.ssl.ClientHandshaker.serverCertificate(ClientHandshaker.java:1633)
>>> at
>>> sun.security.ssl.ClientHandshaker.processMessage(ClientHandshaker.java:216)
>>> at sun.security.ssl.Handshaker.processLoop(Handshaker.java:1052)
>>> at sun.security.ssl.Handshaker$1.run(Handshaker.java:992)
>>> at sun.security.ssl.Handshaker$1.run(Handshaker.java:989)
>>> at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
>>> at sun.security.ssl.Handshaker$DelegatedTask.run(Handshaker.java:1467)
>>> at
>>> org.apache.http.nio.reactor.ssl.SSLIOSession.doRunTask(SSLIOSession.java:283)
>>> at
>>> org.apache.http.nio.reactor.ssl.SSLIOSession.doHandshake(SSLIOSession.java:353)
>>> ... 9 common frames omitted
>>> Caused by: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building
>>> failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable
>>> to find valid certification path to requested target
>>> at sun.security.validator.PKIXValidator.doBuild(PKIXValidator.java:397)
>>> at
>>> sun.security.validator.PKIXValidator.engineValidate(PKIXValidator.java:302)
>>> at sun.security.validator.Validator.validate(Validator.java:262)
>>> at
>>> sun.security.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.validate(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:324)
>>> at
>>> sun.security.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.checkTrusted(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:281)
>>> at
>>> sun.security.ssl.X509TrustManagerImpl.checkServerTrusted(X509TrustManagerImpl.java:136)
>>> at
>>> sun.security.ssl.ClientHandshaker.serverCertificate(ClientHandshaker.java:1620)
>>> ... 17 common frames omitted
>>> Caused by: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException:
>>> unable to find valid certification path to requested target
>>> at
>>> sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilder.build(SunCertPathBuilder.java:141)
>>> at