Yes it would be a ControllerService as you described.

There is currently three implementation :
* AvroSchemaRegistry
* ConfluentSchemaRegistry
* HortonworksSchemaRegistry

It could be based on something like them.

May be I should send something on Jira or somewhere else to submit the idea
to NiFi developers ?

But it also means that the processor JoltTransformJSON and
JoltTransformRecord should be changed.