Previous spotting of the issue was a red herring. We removed our custom
code and are still facing random "org.codehaus.jackson.JsonParseException:
Illegal Character" during PutDatabaseRecord due to a flowfile containing
malformed JSON post MergeContent. Error never occurs immediately and is
usually once we've processed several million records. We did a NOOP run,
which was ConsumeKafka -> UpdateCounter and everything seemed ok.

Here's the current form of the flow:

   1. ConsumeKafka_2_0 - Encoding headers as ISO-8859-1 due to some
   containing binary data
      1. I have a fork of nifi with changes to allow base64 and hex
      encoding of select nifi headers.
      2. Next test will be without pulling any headers
   2. RouteOnAttribute - Validate attributes
   3. Base64EncodeContent - Content is binary, converting to a format we
   can store to later process
   4. ExtractText - Copy Base64 encoded content to attribute
   5. AttributesToJson - Provenance shows output as being fine
   6. MergeContent - Provenance shows output of malformed JSON being
   written in the combined flowflle.
   7. PutDatabaseRecord - Schema specified as Schema Text

Since we've removed all traces of custom code what are peoples thoughts on
possible causes? Could this be an OS issue, or are there any known issues
with specific versions of RHEL?

Logically I think it makes sense to remove JSON from the equation as a
whole.

Thanks,
Jason