Thanks for looking at this Andy, guess i was mistaken about needing a
single-entry keystore. Also thank you for the info regarding
WWW-Authenticate behavior with mTLS. Now that you point it out, seems
rather logical, if both sides enforce authentication, no need to explicitly
ask...

Right, i believe the credentials used and the policies on both sides are
correct. The trust and keystores on both sides are valid, not expired with
matching CN signatures to what is expected and configured in Users and the
RPGs. Both also set client and server Auth ExtendedKeyUsages, i thought
that was the issue but not so, credentials should be fine for mTLS use.
Both sides using tls1.2 with matching ciphers.

Policies also look correct on both sides, in addition to the Admin Guide i
have several working s2s installations i'm cross checking against.

I'm increasing debug in JVM ssl handshake and bootstrap logging to see if i
can get more details, i can see the connection response is from the correct
host:port, with 401 Unauthorized, but not the specific reason for authn
error.

Thanks again.

patw