Hi,

Your understanding is correct: In order to get the connections you want, NGINX
will have to be recognized by NiFi as an authorized proxy. The client
certificate DN will be used for each request, provided NGINX terminates that
TLS connection from the client and passes the DN of the certificate in the
X-ProxiedEntitiesChain header to NiFi.

There are a few examples here:
https://github.com/ijokarumawak/nifi-reverseproxy/tree/master/nginx
<https://github.com/ijokarumawak/nifi-reverseproxy/tree/master/nginx>

Here is an example of configuring NGINX to pass the client Cert DN to NiFi:
https://github.com/ijokarumawak/nifi-reverseproxy/blob/master/nginx/standalone-secure-http/nginx.conf

<https://github.com/ijokarumawak/nifi-reverseproxy/blob/master/nginx/standalone-secure-http/nginx.conf>

The FQDN of NGINX should match the external hostname of the machine (i.e., what
the client uses to send requests).

Hope this helps,
Kevin