Just to answer from my own perspective.   The spring docs imply that both
solutions are worst case equal and guide the naive user towards the weaver.   I
found out with experimentation that build time was the way to go.

But even then that introduced a minute or two of build time in eclipse for
minor changes which without hackery insists on a full project build.    Which
is expensive across many builds per day across multiple developers.   Which
compared to hibernate is silly.

Pinaki Poddar <ppod...@apache.org> wrote:

Hi,

Following is from Rick's Spring reference [1]
[1]
http://static.springsource.org/spring/docs/2.0.x/reference/orm.html#orm-jpa-setup-lcemfb

> When is load time weaving required?
>
> Not all JPA providers impose the need of a JVM agent (Hibernate being an
> example). If your provider does not require an agent or you have other
> alternatives (for example applying enhancements at build time through a
> custom compiler or an ant task) the load time weaver *should not* be used.

Can you please elaborate why you did not prefer *build-time enhancement*?

build-time enhancement is
a) a simple post-compilation step
b) easily integrable to any automated Ant/Maven based build environment
c) saves a ton of trouble

But it is not as popular as we would like it to be.
I am just trying to understand why.

-----
Pinaki