Rick,
I believe openjpa does not close the statement promptly OR an oracle
database jdbc driver issue. It seem if manager is used to create a lot of
native queries in a loop, the cursors in Oracle database will not be
released promptly enough. I am using ojdbc6.jar + openjpa-1.2.3.jar.
Anyway, I will try the cast method. thanks in advance.

Regards,
Yu Wang