Hi Marc,
Sorry for the troubles.  Technically, it looks like you were lucky and
coding to a bug in the OpenJPA code.  Since you just created this
CustomerType, we have to assume that it's unmanaged.  And, we can't
automatically cascade the persist operation to this unmanaged entity.  And,
in your particular case, we wouldn't want to persist this entity since it
already exists.

Just to be clear, you don't want this CustomerType to be persisted, right?
You are just creating this to satisfy the relationship from Person, right?

A couple of ideas come to mind...

1)  Can you do an em.find() operation on your CustomerType?  I realize this
is an extra SQL, but then this CustomerType would be managed and satisfy
the requirement.

2)  Have you tried using em.merge(p) instead of em.persist(p)?  The merge
should do either the update or insert based on the state of the object.
When we get to the CustomerType, we might have to do the extra SQL to
determine if it exists already, but then we should be okay.  This JIRA [1]
from the 2.2.0 Release Notes [2] makes me think this might work...

Maybe somebody else has some ideas on how to get around this scenario.

[1]  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENJPA-1896
[2]
http://openjpa.apache.org/builds/2.2.0/apache-openjpa/RELEASE-NOTES.html