First, save in native ODF (.odt).
Remember that the .doc import/export filters have been reverse engineered, you
may face some troubles by continuing using this format.
Always work in .odt and export in .doc when needed only. This way you keep a
secure copy of your document.

If your document has a lot of objects (pictures, ...), try to increase the memory
settings (Tools>Preferences>OOo>Memory).

If no change, you can try to reset your user profile but I doubt it will change
anything in your case:
http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?p=58403#p58403

Hagar